S. F. Fleury. Dujiniai žibintai Vilniaus Teatro aikštėje (šiandien Rotušės aikštė). XIX-XX a. sandūra. Iš ETM rinkinio

S. F. Fleury. Gas type street lamps in Vilnius Theater square (contemporary City hall square).
Fragment. XIX-XX century.
From ETM collection.

Since 1864 Vilnius city streets were lit with kerosene or gas type street lamps. The latter gas type lamps were lit with gas produced in the former gas factory, managed by the New Berlin gas joint-stock company. In the area of contemporary Opera and ballet theater. However, kerosene and gas street lamps light was weak, and their service were complex – every morning and evening, these lamps have been in service lamplighters. In the end of nineteenth century Vilnius was still using kerosene and gas lamps. However,  contracts with gas company was going to the end in 3  December 1897. City Duma have set up preparatory commission to adjust and prepare draft for Vilnius lighting electrification. In 19 November 1898 commission presented its general observations on the subject:

  1. Prepare a detailed central power plant construction project and contract with that company, which conditions will be recognized as most favorable for the city.
  2. Reaching agreement with the owner of the plot, which will be recognized as the most appropriate for central power plant. 
  3. Call the person wishing to lease the plot for city’s central power plant and prepare the final draft delivered to Duma to adjust approval.
  4. After government approval of the project invite engineers for supervision.
  5. Immediately begin detailed planning and budgeting of the building<…>

(Commission chairman J. Motvill. Members: F. Petraškievič, J. Fechner, K. Falevič, L. Šostakovskij, M. Venslavskij, V. Stypulkovskij, E. Bortkievič, S. Valerštein, A. Zmačinskij. Electrician K. Guščia)

Medienos sandėlis būsimosios miesto elektrinės vietoje. XIX a. pab. Iš Dainiaus Junevičiaus kolekcijos

Lumberyard in future city power plant location. Nineteenth century.From Dainius Junevičius collection.

Search of the place for city power plant started. There were few options in Paplavos (Ul. Kopanica) Safjanikai (today’s Tymo market place), Bernardines garden. The latter paid off financially (place already belonged to the city), but the establishment of the power plant in the town garden would accumulate smoke and greenery should be felled.
Therefore, finally, in June 1901 Duma selected site in Petrozavodzko street(ул. Петрозаводская) – on the right bank of the Neris river. The plot was big enough (1 087 sq.) and close to water which is necessary for power plant operation. In addition, the city expanded toward Žvėrynas district.
Before starting the construction of future power plant local lumberyard was raised, formation of a new – Fishermen – Street (ul. Rybaki) was initiated.

Construction under the direction of the project author engineer Wladyslaw Malinowski, began in August 1901.   Administrative building, turbine and boiler rooms were build as well as power plant chimney and interior equipment.

Vilniaus elektrinės įrangos montavimas. Pirmas iš kairės – inž. W. Malinowski. 1902 m. Iš ETM rinkinio

Vilnius power plant equipment installation. First on the left –engineer W. Malinowski. 1902.
From ETM collection.

Tokiu 1899 m. miesto dūma nusprendė atsisakyti Berlyno dujų bendrovės paslaugų, jokiai bendrovei neperleisti miesto apšvietimo ir eksploatacijos koncesijos, miesto lėšomis ir panaudojant obligacijas pastatyti centrinę elektrinę (motyvai – elektrinis apšvietimas pažangus techniškai ir higienos prasme, jis leis arklių tramvajų pakeisti elektriniu ir paspartins pramonės augimą).

Elektrinės mašinų salėje specialistai iš Varšuvos sumontuoja du „Orthwein, Karasiński i S-ka“ gamyklos garo variklius, katilinėje – du Steinmüller tipo, „Bormann i Szwede“ garo katilus.

Katilų montavimo darbai Vilniaus elektrinėje. 1902 m. Iš ETM rinkinio

Vilnius power plant boiler instalation. 1902.
From ETM collection.

Elektrinės paleidimas planuotas 1901 m. sausio 14 d. (sausio 1 d. pagal Julijaus kalendorių), tačiau audrai sudaužius blogai įrengtus naujus žibintus, elektrinės paleidimas nukeltas mėnesiui.
1903 m. vasario 14 d. (vasario 1-ąją pagal Julijaus kalendorių) vakarą pagrindinės Vilniaus gatvės sužibo lankinių elektros lempų šviesa.

1915 m. rugpjūtį iš Vilniaus besitraukiantį Rusijos kariuomenė ketino susprogdinti elektrinę, tačiau pirmasis jos direktorius W. Niewodniczańskis išsiderėjo iš kariuomenės jos išsaugojimą.

1931 m. plečiant elektrinę pastatoma aukštos įtampos skirstykla.

1933 m. elektrinę visiškai pereina prie kintamos srovės.

1944 m. liepos viduryje besitraukianti Vokietijos kariuomenė elektrinę susprogdina. Sugriaunamos katilų ir turbinų salės, lieka stovėti tik jos administracijos pastatas. Griuvėsius valo vokiečių belaisviai, padeda – 1-osios respublikinės (vėliau – Šv. Jokūbo) ligoninės personalas.

Elektrinės statyba 1902 m. Iš ETM rinkinio.

Construction of Vilnius power plant. 1902.
From ETM collection.

Iki savo darbo pabaigos 1998 m. elektrinė kelis kartus buvo modernizuota, o po II-ojo pasaulinio karo atstatyta nuo pamatų.